Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ganesha came to me, upset.

Kartikey Sehgal

[Ganesha Chaturthi is the Hindu festival celebrated on the birthday (re-birth) of Lord Ganesha, the son of Shiva and Parvati.
It is believed that Lord Ganesh bestows his presence on earth for all his devotees during this festival.] link

Ganesha came to me, upset.

Why are your ears red, Ganesha?
I needn’t wait for an answer. It’s those damn loud speakers again.

Why did you park yourself in the Mumbai idols, after what happened last year?

I thought people must have changed, said Ganesha.

Oh well.
After a similiar experience last year, he floated over the sea for a few hours, resting under the moonlight.
In Mumbai, that’s the only place without potholes.

We bought a packet of chips and consumed calories.

So they don’t really make good music for me then. It’s all filmi item songs.
And I am supposed to be the protector.

I decided that despite the sorry state of his ear-drums, I will play some songs for him.

This, Ganesha, is by Yesudas.

And this by M S Subba Lakshmi.

Yes, said Ganesha, voice is like honey. This music is the right way for many to begin programs, funtions, and concerts of significance.

Yes, I said.

Like film functions and music releases.

Aha. Stop the sarcasm. Let’s talk about this one, sung longingly by two super artists.

Raag Hamsadhwani, said Ganesha. Immense variations.
Set in this same raga, I once heard mother Parvati sing this one:

The moon was very fake though. Unbelievable.

Seeing that his mood was good, I settled into listening to his tales.
Soon some loudspeakers would blare a loud song again.

No comments: